To my son on your 4th Birthday,
You made me a mom. It’s been one of the biggest highlights of my life.
I am a better person because of you. You’ve helped me function better on little sleep, and you’ve helped me realize what’s truly important in life. You’ve helped build my immune system and tested my patience. I am so incredibly thankful for all that you have taught me and will continue to teach me as you grow.
There are no words to adequately describe the amount of love I have for you, and I am so incredibly proud of the person you are and the one that you’re becoming.
I’d be lying if I wasn’t slightly worried about what the future will be like for you because let’s be honest, we live in scary times. It can be downright terrifying, especially as a parent. All I want to do is shield you from all the bad things in life, but I know I won’t always be able to do that. But, what I can do is encourage you to be a good human being.
My wish for you right now is to enjoy being 4. See the good in people and the world. Believe that good still exists, and be the change you wish to see in the world!
There are a million things I love about you, but today I’m sharing 10 with you:
1. I love that you hug me and tell me how much you love me, completely unprompted. I seriously melt a bit every time you say, “Mommy, I love you so much.”
3. I love that you can spend hours playing with your superheroes, your legos, and boats without a care in the world. Your imagination astounds me, and I love hearing you converse with your toys and act out a very real enemy attack.
5. I love that you love being outside. You are seriously your father’s son. You love going to the beach to dig and seeing the horses, and if we allowed it, you’d spend the entire day outdoors exploring and playing.
6. I love that you share a passion for learning (especially for science.) Whether it’s talking about different kinds of sea creatures and their habitats or telling me about your favorite planet. Your brain is filled with such cool facts.
8. I love that you’re a goofball. Your humor and things you say are seriously the goofiest. I’m always laughing with you especially when you bust out your robot dance.
9. Even though you don’t always get it right, I love that you’re respectful of others.
11. I love that you still like to cuddle and hold my hand. I’m glad you’re not “too cool” to immerse yourself in my arms for a quick nap or just a moment of chill time.
13. I love that you are so helpful. You’re always volunteering to help whether it’s helping me with cooking or helping your sissy grab a toy.
14. I love that you love art and being creative. Thank goodness for Pinterest because we have an endless amount of arts and crafts that we get to tackle together.
15. I LOVE that you’re an amazing big brother. You are so kind and loving to her even when she is cranky. Thanks for always helping, making your sissy laugh, and protecting her. I can see and hear how much Caroline James loves you.
You’ve been telling me for quite some time that you’re not a baby anymore, and although you’re not a baby, you’ll always be my baby.
I’m not sure you quite understand it yet, but I hope you know that regardless of your size or age, I’ll always consider you as my baby!
I hope you know how much we love you and how proud of you we are.
Happy 4th Birthday, Widdy!
I love you,