1. Creekside Kid Facial Rounds
I am obsessed with these facial rounds. The big selling point here is quality. I’ve tried several reusable facial rounds and most end up balling up after one use. Creekside Kid’s organic bamboo fleece and organic cotton thread weave are super thick, durable, strong and soft. It creates a sustainable experience wash after wash without any functional compromise. Gentle enough to use around eyes.
2. We Love Eyes Makeup Remover
I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! It takes my eye makeup off without irritating my eyes. Most other eye makeup removers, no matter how they are advertised for “sensitive eyes,” often cause irritation to my eyes or some type of burning. We Love Eyes Causes no issues with makeup removal and it doesn’t leave behind any oily residue. Also, it smells really good.
3. Lulu Organics Face Serum
All organic, PARABEN + MINERAL OIL FREE face serum is made with the most healing organic oils and essential oils. This oil is designed to heal fine lines, wrinkles, and be gentle enough for sensitive and problem skin.
4. Brush Naked Bamboo Toothbrushes
I am completely happy with these toothbrushes and they will be replacing the plastic versions we are currently using. The quality combined with the lower environmental impact makes this an easy choice for our environmentally aware household. I would recommend these to any of my family, friends or anyone else who is in the market for a new toothbrush.
5. Taylor’s Oil Pulling – Herbal Rinse
I typically use coconut oil straight from the jar for oil pulling, but I love this rinse. The mint helps with the taste – my husband was always hesitant to use the hard coconut oil but really likes this rinse. Using this and the charcoal has made a huge difference in the whiteness of my teeth – I love it! I will never buy whitening strips again!
6. Humble Charcoal Toothpaste
This toothpaste from The Humble Co. is brought to you by dentists who care about your oral health, our environment and children in need of oral care. It is useful for the prevention of cavities, bleeding gums, bad breath, plaque, staining, and tooth loss.
Go Humble, Give Smiles – Every Humble purchase goes towards funding oral health projects for children in need.
7. Primal Pit Paste
I put this on in the morning and even after I do a sweaty workout the following day before I take a shower, I still smell fresh. I don’t need to re-apply throughout the day. I hope that if you change one thing in your life, please switch to a more natural deodorant! It’s not just healthier for you and for your family, but it’s also better for the environment because those nasty chemicals in conventional deodorant are no longer being flushed down drains and going into the earth’s soil.
8. Beach Babe Perfume
Sunkissed- You can’t get much beachy than this sent. Smells like a day at the beach! The little glass container is eco-friendly and easy to throw in your bag so you always have it with you to reapply.
9. Little Ondine Polish
I love wearing nail polish. It makes my nails look so chic and pretty. When I have it on. When I remove it, my nails look a mess. Dry, cracking, even peeling. That’s what acetone does to them. But acetone-free removers don’t work that well. What’s a girl to do? Give up nail polish? Never! Little Ondine. The brand makes water-based nail polishes that can be peeled off. You just have to gently loosen the edges, and they come off in one go.
Other pros: It drys quickly and it is chemical Free. This is non-toxic Odorless Formula is completely free of formaldehyde, benzophenone, heavy metals, and are odorless, making them safe for you and the environment. Non-toxic nail polish is the ideal gift for kids, girls, and pregnant women.
10. Wowe Lifestyle Safty Razor
Toss out your disposable razors and become more ecologically conscious. After trying several, this is absolutely my favorite razor. It’s well balanced and solid. And the bamboo makes the perfect handle. Unlike polished wood, your grip actually improves when it’s wet. The shave is so much better- you won’t look back!
11. Plaine Shampoo
The shampoo, which I love, cleans my hair without stripping it of oils (in fact there are days I can use just the shampoo without the conditioner and my hair still feels rather soft.
Plaine Products not only focus on reducing waste and providing a great product, they also make their products with amazing, all natural ingredients (and there’s no guessing as to what is in there!)… Ingredients like coconut oil, organic green tea, papaya extracts, sunflower oil, vegetable glycerin… and essence of rosemary, mint, and vanilla!! Y’all… these products smell AMAZING. So. Good. And they are totally non-gmo, cruelty-free, paraben free, KID SAFE (yes, you can use these on your kiddos!), and again, totally zero-waste.
12. Ethique Foot Polish
You are on your feet all day, but how often do you show them your appreciation? Show them some love with a refreshing foot scrub made with peppermint oil, pumice and lashings of cocoa butter to help with cracked heels and dry bits. I keep this bar in my shower to use every other day. It makes my feet smooth from pumice, soft thanks to coconut butter, and refreshed from the mint oils. For the record, this is one of the best Ethique products I’ve tried!
“You get to decide if you live your life unhappily, sort of happily, or really happily.” -Emily Ley, A Simplified Life: Tactical Tools for Intentional Living
Truth bomb: MY life changed drastically after I had kids. It became ANYTHING but simple.
I’ve gone from a generally organized person with a predictable schedule, clean home, and healthy diet to a full-on hot mess. Since kids, my days have started to blur together and I go to bed, going over the to-do list I haven’t gotten to from the day. I feel pretty stressed and disorganized (not to mention guilty.) I look around my house and don’t even know where to start cleaning (because there is just TOO MUCH STUFF), so I really just move things from room to room. And I am SO over it!!! It’s time to re-asses and make some major improvements. It’s time to simplify my life.
Over the next few months, I am going to be delivering to you a free series on how to simplify multiple areas of your life:
* Simplifying your Schedule
* Simplifying multiple rooms of your house:
•We’ll simplify the kitchen by finding go-to recipes and mixes to keep on hand. We’ll talk about things to keep in the freezer, things to get rid of, etc.
•We’ll walk through various rooms and discuss tips and tricks for keeping them organized and simplified.
* Simplifying your Beauty Routine
* Simplifying Life with Kids
* Simplifying your Wardrobe
All of these will include recipes, free printables, some giveaways, and more! I’m really excited about all of these great ideas coming together and going through this journey right along with you.
[Please note that I am NOT complaining about my kids because they are one of my greatest blessings. And I know with kids there are ALWAYS going to be messes. We just have too much stuff (toys/books/ clothes) and it makes tackling the everyday tasks overwhelming.]
So much can happen in one year. When I look back at the last 12 months, I often think about things I would’ve liked to do or wanted to have accomplished by now.
You can keep dreaming and make plans in your head, but by writing them down they become much more tangible. Checking a goal off your list can be really satisfying.
It’s time to make a list of all the things I want to do and accomplish and make them SMART. Seeing my goals written down makes it’s easier for me to accomplish them.
Because I turned 32 years old this year, I came up with 32 goals I want to achieve this upcoming year.
1. Move to the beach
2. Set up yearly, monthly, weekly and daily blog goals
3. Update baby books
4. Travel to at least one place I have never been
5. Set time blocks for working out
6. Plan more girls night outs
8. Regularly practice yoga
9. Spend one on one time with each child
10. Cook healthier (complete 100 Days of Real food)
11. Create more recipes
12. Family dinners every Sunday
13. Start a book club
14. Improve photography
15. Do something outside my comfort zone at least once a month
16. Invest + save
17. Update finance system
18. Learn to coupon
19. Date my spouse MORE
20. Visit museums
21. Get involved more, volunteer
22. Start a garden even if it is just herbs
23. Keep plants alive
24. Create a photosystem + photo books
25. Update family photos
26. Start the international adoption process
27. Discover new music (monthly Spotify playlists)
28. Read more books (32 books by 33)
29. Color, draw and paint more often
30. Simplify home: donate unused household items
31. Clean out/ simplify wardrobe: donate clothes
32. Live in the present, find joy in the simple things, practice gratitude and love with my whole heart
What goals do you have for yourself this year? Make a list and start working on accomplishing your goals. I always hear people talk about things they wish they did or had time for. This is how I’m making time for it! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Phoebe Phelan at Simply Beachy
- Summertime gift: This cup might just be the BEST invention ever plus it keeps your wine cold. If you are local (Wrightsville Beach) you are in luck because Sweetwater has them in stock.
- Swim top: Obsessed with this top. Not only is it stylish but I can chase my babies around in and still look cute.
- Cannot stop listening too: Check out this song and the rest if the June playlist.
- White Skirt: So glad white jean skirts are back in style.
- Stock up on this: Hurry to your nearest Trader Joes and fill up your cart with this cold brew
- Gift for a two-year-old: Recently we celebrated our baby boy turning two. He has NOT stopped playing with this toy.
- Best workout app: Can’t sneak off to the gym and need an extra push to work out… check out SWEAT. Plus there is an app for your Apple watch.
- Boozy popsicles: Place popsicle in a wine glass and add bubbly. Outshine is my go-to popsicle. For the kids use sparkling apple cider.
- Must follow on Instagram: If you love The Home Edit then you will love this account.
- Paleo recipe: I have been on a BIG shrimp kick lately.
Today I’ve come up with a few ideas that are sure to inject a little spontaneity into your summer. Check them out:
- Create a summer playlist
or check out my June Playlist on Spotify
- Attend an outdoor concert
or have a movie night in your own backyard
- Buy That Bikini
Ask Phoebe: Love Your Body (coming soon)
- Write out a lofty list of long-term goals…
Healthy Lifestyle Goals to Make This Summer (coming soon)
- Master the art of grilling
Girl’s Guide to Mastering the Grill (coming soon)
- Take a vacation—leave your phone behind
Ask Phoebe: The Importance of Unplugging on Vacation (coming soon)
- Have picnic
How to Pack the Perfect Picnic (coming soon)
- Catch up on some reading
Here are some suggestions to get you started: Summer Reading List
- Take a class
painting, writing cooking, surfing… the world is your oyster
- Go to the beach
Beach Must-Haves (coming soon)
What summer adventures and activities are on your bucket list?
Let me know in the comments!
XO Simply Beachy
Happy Friday! Here are ten things I am digging this week:
1. Vegetable Spiralizer: I am all about clean eating these days and this vegetable spiralizer makes perfect zucchini noodles. Vegetable spiralizer recipes coming soon.
2. French Market Basket Backpack: I love going to farmers markets and picking out the freshest fruits and vegetables. Farmers markets are not only a great way to support local farms and farmers, but they also are a great way to try a variety of foods that are only in season during the warmer months. They also give me an excuse to carry around this cute backpack.
3. Texture Spray: Want to rock some beach waves this summer? I highly recommend purchasing IGK Beach Club Texture Spray. Not only does it delivers a salty, windswept look in seconds but it doesn’t weigh your hair down.
5. Toddler Shoes: At first, I was a little hesitant about these shoes because I think Crocs are hideous and tacky but after seeing this brand on my sister’s little ones’ feet, I thought these shoes were actually kind of cute and would be so practical at the beach. Now, I want to get our son every color of the Jefferson.
6. June Playlist: From chilling on the beach to dancing with your girls, this playlist has it all to make sure you have a good time.
7. Summer Scent: I wear this scent year around because the scent makes me happy. It smells exactly like the beach and who wouldn’t to smell like that?
8. Artist: If you don’t follow Gray Malin on Instagram you need to start TODAY. His pieces are so bright and fun. It is hard to pick a favorite.
9. WB Local: If you are ever on the island and looking for coffee and smoothies, The Workshop is where you should go. They also have fresh baked goods, sandwiches (breakfast and lunch), and lots of other options. Plus, the owner Aubrey is such a peach and she also makes the coolest jewelry from shark teeth.
10. Workout Shorts: As the weather gets hotter these breathable shorts help keep me cool and dry quickly if I get too sweaty. Plus they are super comfortable.
Summer is here and it means we can start crossing out some of those books off our reading list and checking out some of the titles our friends have been recommending all year. Whether you’re lounging your way through a paperback on the beach or traveling somewhere new with a stack of reading in your luggage, I’ve rounded up some of the books I am the giddiest to crack open this summer. Keep scrolling to see my picks…
- Little Fires Everywhere by I am so excited about digging into this book this July with the Simply Beachy Book Club. (Details on how to join soon.)
Why this book caught my eye besides all the great reviews: This book is about the bonds between mothers and their children; The relationship between mothers and daughters in particular… I have a daughter and of course, I am a daughter, so the anticipation is killing…`
- Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty (author of Big Little Lies)
Throwing it back to Liana Moriarty first book because this book is great for anyone looking for sometime fun and light–but not fluffy–to read… perfect for the lounging by the pool.
I adore this author and all her books. This is the second book from the Peachtree bluff series so I suggest reading Slightly South of Simple first.
- All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
Warning: Clear your schedule before starting this book. This thriller has all your favorite page-turners: Think The Girl on a Train, The Luckiest Girl Alive and Gone Girl all rolled into one.
- Everybody Always by Bob Goff
When I received this book, I had a lot of mixed emotions. Afterall, this book had a lot to live up to. It was either going to be a complete letdown or God was going to use it, like He did Love Does, to speak to me in a powerful way. It did not disappoint! I was already highlighting and stopping to pray through the ideas presented in the prologue. The prologue, guys! So just think what the whole book did to my heart.
- Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
If you want to be inspired, read it.
If you feel like the Lord is calling you to do something difficult, read it.
If you have a passion for orphan care, read it.
If you want to do missions work, read it.
If you want to read a book of love, read it.
- This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today by Chrissy Metz
If you’ve been missing This Is Us and can’t wait until it returns this fall, this is the perfect book for you. Chrissy Metz, who plays Kate on the series, recently released a memoir where she shares insights about her unique journey to Hollywood and gives readers a behind-the-scenes look at the hit NBC show.
- The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews
Mary Kay Andrews is the queen of the summer beach reads and she just released her newest novel May 8th. If you like stories about friendships, murder, love, and secrets in an impossibly gorgeous setting, this will be the summer read you can’t put down.
- All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin
Rumor has it is one of Giffin‘s most topical, gripping books yet. We Cannot wait. Out June 26.
- A Double Life by Flynn Berry
If you are looking for a thrilling then here you go. Paula Hawkins, author of The Girl on the Train says it is, “A thrilling page-turner.” Out July 31.
What books are you looking forward to reading this summer?
Let me know in the comments!
XO Simply Beachy